ALSO READ: Ingredient of the week: Red leaf lettuce
During the cold, rainy season, you may find yourself not only eating more often and but also preferring high-calorie, starchy foods. You are also likely to become more sedentary, preferring to stay under the covers with a cup of hot chocolate and some biscuits rather than hit the gym.
Below are some tips on choosing healthy options to keep off the extra pounds during this Kenyan winter.
- Skip the white potatoes and opt for nutritionally dense varieties like baked sweet potato and cassava.
- Soups are great for keeping you warm but opt for water based broths rather than creamy varieties.
- When cooking a one-pot stew, add your vegetables at different times to avoid overcooking.
- Add some heat by cooking with chilli, which helps raise your internal temperature.
- Millet porridge for breakfast will warm you up and keep you feeling fuller for longer during those cold mornings.