The much sought after controversial gynaecologist James Mugo Ndichu alias Mugo Wa Wairimu was finally arraigned in court yesterday.
Mr Mugo, whose whereabouts were unknown until Thursday when he was arrested in Limuru, was brought to the Milimani law courts in Nairobi shortly after 8am under tight security.
Mugo, who is accused of sexually abusing a patient at his clinic in Githurai 44, was held in the court cells as he awaited to be arraigned. The “doctor” came to public limelight after a shocking video footage appeared to show him raping a sedated woman patient.
Since then, the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (KMPDB) and the Nursing Council of Kenya have termed him a quack.
Mugo, who runs Prestige Healthcare, situated in Zimmerman estate in Nairobi, was arrested on Thursday at Gitungo Hotel in Limuru in what police said is pursuant to criminal reports made to police accusing him of several sexually related offences.
On Thursday, Head of Serious Crime Unit John Kariuki said Mugo was likely to be charged with rape and indecent assault once police complete investigations.
Wielding a two-litre bottle of water, the “gynaecologist” was ushered into the dock by four uniformed court orderlies. The suspect, whose actions have elicited divergent views, was arraigned before Senior Principal Magistrate Charity Oluoch.
The prosecution sought for 30 days to enable police conduct an in-depth probe into his alleged offences. Ms Oluoch, however, directed that he be remanded in custody for 14 days.
“After considering the prosecution and defence’s requests, I note that the state’s request for 30 days is a long period. I direct that the suspect be remanded for 14 days, but prosecution is at liberty to request for more time if investigations could not have been completed by then,” the magistrate said in her brief ruling.
Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Keriako Tobiko, through Senior Assistant DPP Jacinta Nyamosi, asked the court to allow the police to detain Mugo on grounds that his safety was not guaranteed due to the public outrage the matter had attracted.
Nyamosi told court that investigations have revealed several complaints affecting large number of victims who are yet to record statements.
Mugo will now have to remain in custody until September 25 when he is likely to plead to the charges preferred against him after investigations.
Nyamosi also told the court that indepth investigations required extraction of mobile phone records besides reports from the Cybercrime Unit and KMPDB.
Mugo’s lawyer Peter Macharia said he was not opposed to the continued detention of his client due to his safety concerns.
"We are not opposed to the detention of my client the reason being his own security. Mugo has already been tried in the court of public opinion and as we speak, his security is not guaranteed out there if released," Macharia said.