× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Eve Magazine TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
menu search
Standard Logo
Home / Parenting

A Mommy Story: Motherhood is a journey not a destination…

By Florence Sheywe | 4 years ago | 3 min read

What one thing never fails to make you feel better?

My first pregnancy was the best news I ever heard. I managed to carry my pregnancy to full-term with no problems just normal symptoms of pregnancy.

I started labor and was taken to Hospital there I safely delivered a baby boy. After few days of breast feeding, My nipples were swollen red and so hurting I could feel as if baby was biting them. They ruptured and removed purse. The doctors called it mastitis it made me have postpartum depression. Due to the pain I was experiencing. The doctors stopped me from breastfeeding. My baby was introduced to NAN milk and that is what he grew up with he never breast fed.

My second pregnancy unlike the first one come unexpectedly. I was in my line of duty as a public officer and we went for field work on our way the car hit a bump unaware we shook and we thought it was nothing, though I felt a sharp pain on my stomach I ignored. The pain continued the whole night. I took some painkillers. Come morning the pain was so severe that I could only crouch so as to walk it was worse by eight that I had to be rushed to hospital by an ambulance. At the district hospital they diagnosed an appendix problem that needed an urgent operation. My hubby who was to sign for my operation was in Nairobi and He insisted that despite the emergency I be transferred to Nairobi.

I was transferred to Aga Khan Nairobi. Tests were done and I never had an appendix problem instead I was diagnosed with a kidney problem. My kidney was licking and it had a stone. I have never had such a problem neither is it in my family lineage.

I was in an emergency operation in which they removed the stone in the kidney and placed pipes in my kidney to temporary help in urination for about six weeks. I went back to the hospital for checkups. I was given two more weeks so that they can remove the pipes. I stayed with my husband and after the two weeks we went with my husband for the purported operation. Tests were done before I go to theatre and I was found to be pregnant. This was a shock to all of us.

The operation couldn’t take place I was referred to a gynecologist who advised that I should stay for three months before the operation, by then the baby can hold firm the uterus. I prayed and remained positive for now the situation was out of my hand and only in God Hands.

After three months I went to see my gynecologist. she advised I take a scan which I did, the results state that I was carrying twins and so there was no operation for with this three lives could be in danger. I was scared. The doctors advised that I wait for some more months but I had to check with the gynecologist every week.

At six months I had started feeling the pain of the pipes. My womb was growing bigger. The pregnancy was painful the whole time I was in and out of the hospital sometimes my pressure shoots because of stress, my blood is low  sometimes I pass out only to find myself in hospital.

I managed to sail through to full term. It was not easy on my labor day as I was walking home just strolling. I just felt a sharp pain in stomach and immediately felt my stomach dividing into two. I felt I had lost one baby. I really don’t know what inspired next but I woke up in hospital. I went in for caesarian. I gave birth to my twin girls and named them Yusra and Yumna which means blessings.

After delivery I was afraid that may be mastitis would come back. I have breast fed my babies well and we have bonded well.

On 16th may 2017 I had a successful operation the pipes were removed and am now safe.


Related Topics

Share this story