Meghan Markle's plans for a home birth were dashed after she was secretly taken to a private hospital to deliver her newborn son, reports now claim.
Reports suggest she was whisked off by her security team to a private hospital - most likely the Portland in London - but the exact location has not been disclosed.
The plans were so secret that senior royals were not even told of the move, it is claimed.
It is understood that Meghan was around a week overdue.
The Duchess of Sussex had hoped for her newborn to be delivered at Frogmore Cottage home after months of planning.
The Queen, who is reportedly staying at Windsor Castle, is expected to meet her great-grandson for the first time today.
The baby is seventh in line to the thrown and is the first mixed race child of a senior royal.
Details beyond where the Duchess hoped to have the birth were never discussed by the royals, who wanted their new baby to be delivered with utmost privacy.
Meghan 37, was beside her elated husband Harry when the baby, dubbed 'Baby Sussex', was born at 5.26am.
Portland Hospital has earned a reputation as the place where Britain's rich and famous go to give birth.
A 'basic delivery' at the hospital is believed to cost around Sh. 1.9 million (£15,000).
Victoria Beckham, Jools Oliver and Jemima Goldsmith have all delivered children at the plush west London hospital.
The state-of-the-art clinic has a small number of luxury rooms reserved for VIP guests which cost over Sh. 277,000 (£2,100) a night.
The hospital offers new mothers the chance to drink champagne and eat oysters with its luxury hotel-like service.
Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of York were also both delivered there.
It is claimed Prince Harry and Meghan hosted friends at Frogmore Cottage just hours before she went into labour on Sunday.
The Sun reported that they also watched the finale of BBC drama Line of Duty on the same day.
It was previously believed that Meghan gave birth at home, but Harry did not specify a location when he spoke to media from Windsor earlier today.
He said: "I'm very excited to announce that Meghan and myself had a baby boy this morning, a very healthy baby boy."
A smiling Harry added: "Mother and baby are doing incredibly well. It’s been the most amazing experience I can ever have possibly imagined.
"How any woman does that, what they do is beyond comprehension.
"We’re both absolutely thrilled and so grateful to all the love and support of everybody out there, it's been amazing so I just wanted to share this with everybody.
"Still thinking about names but, yeah, the baby is a little overdue so we’ve had a little bit of time to think about it – but that’s the next bit.
"We’ll be able to see you in two days' time as planned and be able to share it with you as a family and share it with you guys and so everyone can see the baby."
Harry and Meghan came under fire for the unorthodox way in which they informed the public of the birth.
They announced it on Instagram before the declaration was put on an easel outside Buckingham Palace, as is traditional.
Some also questioned Harry's 'bizarre' television announcement of the birth, which he made in front of a stable at Frogmore Cottage
Twitter users also called out the royal couple for being overly secretive about the baby and not immediately showing him to the world, like Prince William and Kate did with their children.
However, others supported Meghan's decision to keep things private, arguing that the mum deserved some rest after the birth and should not have to 'parade' in front of the cameras.
Meghan's father, Thomas Markle, who she has a fraught relationship with, found out about the birth through the media, according to reports.
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.