ALSO READ: Beef soup to warm your bones
Let’s make one of my favourite and simplest chicken dishes — lemon pepper drumsticks. Drumsticks are the lower part of the chicken leg, just below the thigh, also known as the calf or ‘paja la kuku’ in Kiswahili.
The chicken leg is traditionally known to be a treat for the father of the house and no one would touch it.
Thankfully, a number of butchers now sell chicken pieces according to parts so you can purchase and cook drumsticks for everyone at home to enjoy.
What you will need:
7-8 chicken drumsticks
200ml thick plain yoghurt
ALSO READ: Three ways to make French toast
4 lemon squeezed
1 teaspoon ginger paste
2 garlic cloves sliced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon oil
4-5 fresh curry leaves
ALSO READ: Seven foods you can make with chapati dough
2 bouillon chicken cubes
1 large onion sliced
What to do:
1. In a pan over medium heat, pour the oil then add in the curry leaves and sauté. Add in sliced garlic and onion slices. Mix well then add in chicken cubes and use a wooden spatula to sauté.
2. Add the ginger paste then the turmeric powder. Mix well and add the chicken drumsticks.
3. Continue to stir until flavours coat the chicken. Cook for another five minutes then add in the lemon juice.
4. Bring to a boil and add in the black pepper. Continue to cook.
5. Add in the thick plain yoghurt. Cover with a tight lid and let it cook further for another 10 minutes.
6. Once the sauce is thick and coats the chicken, you are ready to serve with your favourite plain rice.