Rita Auma Obama may be famous for her kinship but she is definitely more than just Barack Obama’s sister. She is a sociologist, community activist and Kenyan writer. She has even come up with her own non-profit organization helping orphans and young kenyan people struggling with poverty.
These are some of the interesting facts about Auma Obama:
- She was born in 1960, one year before Barack Obama, in Nairobi Kenya.
- She is the daughter of Barack Obama Sr. and his first wife, Kezia.
- She studied at Germany's Heidelberg University. She also graduated with a Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Bayreuth. And she also studied at the German Film and Television Academy in Berlin.
- She married a British Man, Ian Manners, in 1996, and together are the parents of one daughter, Akinyi (1997). Auma and Ian Manners divorced in 2000.
- She moved to Kenya with her daughter in 2007, since then they have always lived here.
- She worked for the international charity organization, CARE International, before starting her own charity, Sauti Kuu Foundation.
- She has been the subject of a German documentary film: “The Education of Auma Obama”
- In 2017 Auma Obama was honored with the fourth International TÜV Rheinland Global Compact Award in Cologne.
- She is the author of the book “And Then Life Happens”, released in 2012.
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.