ALSO READ: The truth about erectile dysfunction
Snoring is a common condition that can affect anyone although it occurs more frequently in men and people who are overweight. It usually happens when air you breath in goes through your throat as you sleep. This causes tissues in the throat to vibrate which leads to the irritating loud sound. Habitual snorers can be at risk of serious health problems including obstructive sleep apnea.
The unpleasant sound can have quite a toll on your relationship due to the constant sleep disruption. But worry not because there are a few things you can do about it. Here are a few remedies for snoring worth trying.
1. Take a hot shower before bed. Snoring usually occurs when the air passing through your throat and nasal passage is constricted unnaturally. Taking a hot shower before sleep and using a saltwater nasal rinse when in the shower should effectively clear up your passages.
2. Hydrate. dehydration causes secretions in your mouth and nose to become sticky, which leads to more snoring. Make sure you stay sufficiently hydrated by taking enough water throughout the day.
3. Do not take alcohol before bed. Alcohol causes the muscles in our throats to become too relaxed which weakens the body's natural ability to defend the airway against obstruction. You should have your last drink at least four hours before going to bed.
4. Change your sleeping position. Lying on your back can cause your tongue and soft palate to press against the back of your throat leading to snoring. Sleeping on your side throughout the night will prevent this.
5. Dusting. Allergens found in old pillows and dusty ceiling fans can be the reason behind your snoring. Dusting should effectively take care of that problem.
6. Mouth exercises. Research shows that simple mouth exercises can reduce snoring significantly. Try raising the back of the roof of your mouth and uvula while sounding the vowel ‘A.’
7. Losing weight. If you are overweight, try losing some weight by reducing your calorie intake, eating healthier foods and exercising. This will reduce the amount of throat tissue you have which could be the reason behind your snoring.
8. Use nasal strips. These will lift and open your nasal passage which will reduce snoring.
9. Use nasal spray. Nasal sprays will effectively reduce your snoring if the nasal congestion is the cause of. You can get an over-the-counter saline nasal spray for this.
10. Quit smoking. Lifestyle habits such as smoking could be the reason your snoring is getting worse. Try quitting and seek therapy. You can also start by using nicotine gum and nicotine patches as you cut down and eventually stop.
SignUp For Newsletter
Get amazing content delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to our daily Newsletter.