× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
menu search
Standard Logo HEALTH
Home / Health & Science

Baby Satrin Osinya doing well a year after killer bullet was removed from his head

By SOPHIAH MUTHONI | 5 years ago

He survived a terror attack that left his mother dead and the killer bullet in his head. But over a year since the incident, Baby Satrin Osinya is healthy and happy.

 Baby Satrin Osinya is kissed by Head of KNH Neurosurgeon Peter Gichuru Mwangi when he visited the hospital after one year of bullet attack in a church in Likoni Mombasa that led to the death of his mother. (PHOTO: WILLIS AWANDU/STANDARD)

The young boy whose saddening story captured the nation's attention lost his mother in March 2014 after al Shabaab militants stormed a church in Likoni, Mombasa and opened fire.

With the entire nation praying for his quick recovery, Osinya was successfully operated on, and the bullet removed at the Kenyatta National Hospital by head of neurosurgery Peter Mwangi. He has been going for check-ups to monitor his progress ever since.

The now three-year-old, who was adopted by Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi, yesterday had a scheduled check up at the hospital where his doctor,  Mwangi, said he continued to show progress. The doctor pointed out that he has been monitoring Osinya's progress with his last visit having been in August this year.

"The bullet had been lodged in his visual cortex and the aim of these visits is to check that none of his functionalities were affected. For example, we check to see if he can move his limbs, if he can see clearly and the healing progress of the wound after surgery," Dr Mwangi explained.

Though the doctor said Osinya was doing well so far and he had not experienced any complications such as seizures since the surgery, he still needs to be monitored for the next one year.

He explained: "He has what we call a growing fracture where we operated. This means that there is a small gap between two bones and though it is not a cause for alarm now, we will need to monitor it and see if it closes on its own. If it does not then we will cover the gap with artificial bone," Mwangi said.

Osinya who was accompanied by his adoptive mother Primrose Mbuvi and his adoptive sister Nelvis Wangari appeared happy and playful showing his prowess in saying the grace to the doctor and journalists present. Mrs Mbuvi said he has never showed any problem since the surgery.

Related Topics

Share this story