Patients discharged as strike by doctors takes toll
SEE ALSO :IEBC lays ground for boundary reviewHer mother Sylvia Anyango said she had been called to come for her daughter after staying in the hospital for two months. Ms Anyango told The Standard that her daughter’s wound had not been checked for the last three days since the onset of doctors’ strike. “Nurses have advised me to buy her drugs from the chemist and if her condition worsens, I should take her to any nearby hospital,” explained Anyango. Jackton Okello is still nursing a bullet wound on his leg. He has undergone surgeries and still feels weak, but says that nurses had told him he should be discharged. “I feel weak and not sure if I will be okay when discharged because my leg still hurts,” said Mr Okello at the male medical ward. The Standard established that all patients at the female ward had been discharged. At the peadiatric, male medical and female surgical wards, only two patients were remaining in each ward. The acting Medical Superintendent, Thaddeus Massawa, said it has been challenging to carry out normal activities at the facility. Dr Massawa said with the help of three clinical officers and a few consultant specialists and medical interns, the facility was able to attend to emergencies.
SEE ALSO :Toxic food death toll rises to three“We are trying as much as possible to attend to patients without subjecting them to more pain,” said Massawa. Last Friday, doctors joined clinical officers in a paralysing strike, accusing the county government of stalled promotions. Through their officials, the Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union, 127 medical doctors accused the county government of showing little interest in the health sector and vowed to remain on strike until their complaints were addressed.
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.