Health Ministry dispatches medical teams to five Cholera-hit counties as number of infected patients rises to 62
The number of Nairobi Hospital staff infected with Cholera has reportedly now risen to 62 following an outbreak of the disease on Tuesday.
An insider yesterday confidentially revealed that two members of staff had been admitted into the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after exhibiting severe symptoms of the disease.
Earlier yesterday, a statement issued by the facility’s communication officer Tom Simba, revealed that 52 staff had tested positive for cholera.
But the source said 10 more cases had been reported at the facility.
"The cholera patients have been isolated into three wards. One has 34 members of staff, the others 18 and 10 respectively. Two have, however, been moved into the ICU. All those that are hospitalised are recovering well and could be discharged any time from now," added the source.
The source further revealed that the majority of members of staff that were bedridden were those working in the Saturday and Sunday night shifts and consumed food from the canteen.
He also said that reports that one member of staff had died on Tuesday when the disease broke out were accurate, although there is no official confirmation of the death.
The source said the management should disclose the company that supplied the food to the members of staff on Sunday night leading to an outbreak of the disease.
"Members of staff on night duty never used to get food from outside. This started from the second of this month and I believe that is when the problem started," he added.
On Tuesday, Nairobi hospital confirmed there were eight staff affected by cholera but denied there was an outbreak of the disease.
City Hall had on Wednesday confirmed that the number of patients admitted with the disease at the hospital as of Tuesday was 23.
Health CEC Mohamed Dagane said that the patients had been isolated but claimed no fatality had been reported.
At the same time, the Ministry of Health has now dispatched medical teams to five cholera-hit counties to support in the implementing of response measures and support technical capacity.
A statement from the ministry yesterday stated that a multi-disciplinary teams had been dispatched to Nairobi, Kajiado, Narok, Garissa and Machakos counties where cases of cholera had been reported.
“The ministry has also distributed cholera supplies comprising pharmaceutical and laboratory diagnostic support to facilitate timely confirmation and effective case management,” read the statement.
The ministry blamed the spread of the disease on the shortage of safe and clean drinking water as well as poor sanitation and hygiene.
For the latest news in entertainment check out Sde.co.ke and Pulser.co.ke , for everything sports visit Gameyetu.co.ke and ladies we have you covered on Evewoman
Nairobi Hospital staffCholeraCholera Outbreak