I had received many requests to make a different version of this pumpkin dessert. Our Swahili staple is making this with coconut sauce rather than dairy cooking cream. I decided to give it a try and I must say it is a perfect combo. It tastes so good and brings out the natural sweetness of pumpkin. The milk and sugar caramelise together with the pumpkin and magic happens! I usually serve it with ice cream but you can have it on its own and still enjoy.
What you will need:
1kg pumpkin, cut into cubes
130ml cooking cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cardamom, crushed
- READ MORE
- 1. #EasyRecipe: Sorghum and mango salad
- 2. Easy recipe: Slow cooked mbuzi with fried rice
- 3. Easy recipe: Chicken in mushroom and sweet corn
- 4. #EasyRecipe: Swahili chicken in coconut sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp crushed pistachios for garnish
What to do:
1. In a pan over medium heat, pour in the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, cardamom and half of the cooking cream.
2. Let it cook on medium heat until the water has almost evaporated and pumpkin is soft.
3. Add the remaining cream and let it simmer for two minutes.
4. Add the sliced almonds and raisins, let it cool and then serve at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
5. Top it up with some crushed pistachios.
6. Enjoy with a glass of milk.