× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Eve Magazine TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
menu search
Standard Logo
Home / Parenting

Thanks to God, I found happiness in being a Mom

By Harriet Gakii Ngari | 5 years ago | 3 min read

My motherhood journey began when I conceived my baby boy back in 2013. Being a first time mom, I was very nervous and naïve of what one goes through, and my husband was  in Turkana County working. I remember there were nights I cried myself to sleep wondering why I was walking the path of pregnancy alone in the house without my partner. He managed to get 5 days off work when I was 4 months down the journey and we spent only 2 days with him because he used the other 3 days for travelling to and fro. It really was a tough time for me but all the same; I thank God because my pregnancy was smooth and okay apart from the morning l sicknesses here and there.

At around 8 months, he again came briefly and had to get back to work in a day. During the one day that we spent together, he contemplated resigning his job to come be with me during delivery since getting enough off days and leave was hard at the time. We talked this out and decided on the same and so he resigned. On getting to his work station in Turkana, he received a letter of transfer to Msambweni in Coast. This got us more confused and he had to suspend the resignation and report to his new work station hoping that all could be well in that station.

By now, the days to my delivery were fast approaching and I was so nervous. We agreed that I go stay at my sister’s place before he could forward the resignation letter. On the day he was forwarding his letter, he received another transfer letter to Nairobi Station. This was the Lord’s doing. It was the best news we received on that day. On March 27, 2014 I went into labour, probably due to happiness, and was blessed with a baby boy through an emergency caesarean section. Just as we were leaving the theater room to the ward, he arrived to see us from the Coast. He had taken a flight from the Coast on hearing that I was scheduled for a C-Section.

The joy of being a father was all over his face. It was the best time I recall after delivery. He spent the next 4 days in the hospital beside us, each morning thanking God for his doing. The transfers indeed were preparing for us something we never thought of. We happily left for hospital with our healthy baby.

Being first time parents, challenges are there and we also faced them. There are nights I would cry with the baby when my husband was sent for duties outside the country for a week or so. Colics were his thing in the early months. This could happen especially in the evenings and I could spend the nights crying with him. Days passed by and he overcame it and we could finally get a full nigh’t sleep.

I am now in my third trimester, expecting my second born. I thank God for the blessing and the far he has brought us as a family. Being a working mom, I get home tired but am always happy to find my husband who helps me in all ways. I'm such a lucky mom and hope the transfers won’t set in again to trigger labour when days are over.

Related Topics

Share this story