Making peanut butter at home is actually quite simple. And the best part is that you only need three main ingredients that you already have at home!
Here's a recipe to help you make your own delicious peanut butter:
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts (unsalted or salted, depending on your taste preference)
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup (optional, for sweetness)
- 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (optional, for creaminess)
Start by placing the peanuts in a food processor or high-powered blender. If you prefer chunky peanut butter, set aside a small handful of peanuts to add later.
- Passing gas emits important clues about your health
- Easy recipe: Soupy Shurba
- Easy recipe: Muhogo wa rojo na nyama
- Easy meals you can prepare this Easter Holiday
Blend the peanuts on high speed for a few minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the processor or blender. At first, the peanuts will break down into smaller pieces.
As you continue blending, the peanuts will eventually turn into a thick and grainy consistency. At this point, you can add the optional honey or maple syrup for sweetness, if desired. You can also add the vegetable oil for extra creaminess.
Keep blending until the mixture begins to clump together and resembles peanut butter. If you prefer chunky peanut butter, add the reserved handful of peanuts and pulse a few times until they are roughly chopped and incorporated.
Taste the peanut butter and adjust the sweetness or creaminess to your liking by adding more honey/maple syrup or oil if needed.
Once you're satisfied with the texture and flavour, transfer the peanut butter to a clean, airtight jar or container. Store it at room temperature for up to two weeks, or in the refrigerator for longer shelf life.
That's it! You now have homemade peanut butter ready to enjoy on toast, in sandwiches, or as a tasty ingredient in various recipes.