A healthcare company has distanced itself from Covid-19 kits saga rocking the Ministry of Health, saying it was neither hired nor involved in clearing donation by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma.
Megascope Healthcare Kenya Limited, through its lawyer Njoroge Regeru, says its reputation has been affected after being linked to the saga.
“Our client was not contracted and has no time whatsoever been contracted by Kemsa (Kenya Medical Supplies Agency) to clear any consignment on its behalf,” said Regeru.
Jack Ma donated at least 25,000 kits for testing coronavirus and 100,000 face masks through his Alibaba Foundation. At the same time, the Chinese government had its share of donation. The saga is unfolding each day even as politicians and activists call for investigations of companies and individuals who may have illegally benefited from the pandemic.
Covid 19 Time Series
Already, USAID has written to the government, threatening to pull out of Sh400 billion funding programme for purchasing malaria, HIV/Aids and tuberculosis medicine over the graft allegations.
Politicians allied to Deputy President William Ruto have also called for resignation of Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe over the saga.
- READ MORE
- 1. 80 test positive for coronavirus in Kenya today
- 2. Covid-19: 223 new infections recorded in last 24 hours
- 3. Covid-19: Kenya records 166 new cases, three deaths
- 4. Covid-19: 138 test positive as three others die
Kagwe appeared last week before Parliament and defended the ministry over the saga.
On Saturday, Orange Democratic Movement urged for caution on the Kemsa saga, saying the allegations are causing unnecessary panic.
Megascope has now threatened to sue a local TV station over its exposé alleging that it had played a part. It wrote to the media house on August 20, 2020, seeking retraction of the story and an apology.