x Health Men's Health Children's Health Nutrition and Wellness Reproductive Health Health & Science Digital News Videos Opinions Cartoons Education E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise BULK SMS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
Login ×

Medical equipment missing as nuns take over disputed hospital

Health & Science - By Julius Chepkwony | January 24th 2018 at 12:00:00 GMT +0300
St Mary's Mission Hospital CEO Dr Gerald Njue during an interview in his office on January 22, 2018. [Photo:Julius Chepkwony]

Operations at a hospital at the centre of a court dispute have been paralysed after medical equipment was allegedly vandalised.

St Marys Mission Hospital in Gilgil, on the Nakuru-Nairobi highway, is now under the management of Assumption Sisters of Nairobi, who took it over last week.

The hospital’s CEO, Gabriel Njue, yesterday said that four theatres remained closed as anaesthesia machines were missing.

“We took over on Friday and later realised the laboratory was not operational. We could not do haemogram and biochemistry tests. The anaesthesia and dialysis machines are also missing,” said Dr Njue.

He added that the mystery behind the disappearance of the equipment had yet to be explained as there were no break-ins at the hospital.

When The Standard team visited the hospital, it found equipment - anaesthesia and dialysis machines and theatre monitors - missing

Only one small operation room had a machine, but no patient could be treated as the surgical sets were missing.

The CCTV cameras had been pulled down and the hospital could only offer limited outpatient services.

“The theatre is empty, we cannot even perform a minor operation. The machines and equipment were vandalised in all the operation rooms. We don’t have basic equipment,” said Silvanus Wafula, the nursing services manager.

Hospital records show that a biopsy, a major operation, was last conducted at the facility on January 16, three days before the nuns took control of the hospital.

Tissues waiting to be taken for testing in Nairobi had been left in a container in a room.

Be The First To Comment

Stay Ahead!

Access premium content only available
to our subscribers.

Or Login With Your Standard Account
Support independent journalism
Create An Account
Support independent journalism
I have an account Log in
Reset Password
Support independent journalism
Log in