The Standard Group Plc is a multi-media organization with investments in media platforms spanning newspaper print operations, television, radio broadcasting, digital and online services. The Standard Group is recognized as a leading multi-media house in Kenya with a key influence in matters of national and international interest.
  • Standard Group Plc HQ Office,
  • The Standard Group Center,Mombasa Road.
  • P.O Box 30080-00100,Nairobi, Kenya.
  • Telephone number: 0203222111, 0719012111
  • Email: [email protected]

Police officer shot dead in matatu carjacking drama along Juja Road, Nairobi


A police officer was Sunday morning shot dead in a robbery incident in a matatu along Juja Road, Nairobi.   Sergeant Abdiaziz Hussein of Eastleigh Airbase Chief Camp succumbed to his injuries after being shot in a matatu he had boarded without knowledge a gang would strike.

The incident happened near St Teresa’s area at about 11 am, police said. Police said the AP officer who was shot at three times had finished his duty and was leaving for his house in Eastlegh when he boarded the matatu.

The vehicle had apparently been carjacked from Kariokor and gunmen were on board busy ransacking the passengers of their valuables and cash when they realized he is a police officer.

A resident of Eastleigh Ahmed Mohamed said the deceased officer had a civilian jacket covering his uniforms. “They had robbed other passengers and on reaching where the officer was they realized he is a police officer and shot him three times before escaping on foot. He was not armed at the time of the incident,” said Mohamed.

Police confirmed Hussein who hails from Garissa was not armed at the time of the daytime robbery. The driver of the matatu Wanjohi Mwaniki said he heard screams from the other passengers followed by three gunshots. And when he stopped he realized Hussein had been shot and the gunmen had escaped on foot.

Nairobi police boss Japheth Koome said the gang escaped on foot soon after the shooting incident and no arrest has been made.

After the shooting, the officer was rushed to the nearby MSF clinic but was pronounced dead on arrival. The death increases the number of officers killed while on duty in the last month alone.

Related Topics