Your are here  » Home   » Health

Ladies, beware of weaves with deadly worms

BY Leah Gondi-Ogondi
Updated Sunday, October 27th 2013 at 19:39 GMT +3

By Leah Gondi-Ogondi and Snopes.com

Kenya: Irene Myangoh, a personal assistant working at a law firm in Nairobi went to an upmarket hair salon along Kenyatta Avenue, and spent more than Sh3,000 on a human hair weave.

Two weeks later she started suffering from severe headache that would not go away. She would wake up with severe headache at night.

She went to a private doctor who gave her drugs for the relief of mild to moderate pain of inflamatory origin with or without fever; they would only work for a few hours and then the headache would be back worse than even before.

Desperate, she went to see a specialist who did blood tests and even a brain scan. All the tests were negative but the headache persisted, making her unable to concentrate at work and sleeping very poorly. 

She went back to her doctor who decided to examine her scalp and under the beautiful weave he found worms! The worms were burrowing into her skull and after sending the samples to the lab they found that the hair had eggs from which the worms had hatched.

 Worms

 The doctor told her that the hair was probably from a corpse because those worms are usually found on dead bodies.  Efforts to reach her doctor for further comments were fruitless for he was said to be out of the country.

The manager of the salon where Irene got the hair product was traumatised and said they had fitted ten weaves from the package already, adding that the particular batch of hair had sold very fast; in less than a month, she had sold over 150 pieces.

“I am shocked to hear this because this is the first time such a thing is happening to my clients. I will get more information from my supplier because we import these weaves from the UK, USA and India,” says the salon manager who did not want to be mentioned.

She continued to say: “Maybe, the supplier sent us rejects from the factory or weaves that had overstayed in the stores but I promise to follow up on the matter and compensate Irene.”

Irene had to shave after this ordeal and took antibiotics for two weeks.

GO TO PAGE 1 2 Next »

Next Story »

Find us on Social Media

Popular Health

Popular News

Videos