Diarrhoea spreads in former IDPs' village
Eight children have been hospitalised in a suspected cholera outbreak in Mukutani, Baringo South.
According to area chief Benjamin Lecher, up to 25 people, among them 13 school children, have reported symptoms of cholera since Sunday.
"Five pupils suffered diarrhoea and vomiting last week. Eight others were taken to various hospitals in Marigat, Tangulbei and Kabarnet on Sunday. The numbers keep rising," he said.
SEE ALSO :Hospitals on alert following cholera outbreak
The administrator said the condition might have been triggered by dirty drinking water. Water, he said, was scarce in the region as the only river passing through the village had been reduced to a few dirty puddles.
The situation has been complicated by long distances to the nearest medical facility. Tangulbei Health Centre, the nearest facility, is about ten kilometers from Mukutani.
"It is difficult to know exactly what disease they are suffering from because there is no dispensary and or health centre in the area," said the chief.
The situation, he said, was growing worse.
The suspected outbreak has hit more than 140 families, six months after they returned home from an internally displaced persons camp in Marigat.
SEE ALSO :Nairobi County issues cholera outbreak alert
The villagers had left home following a banditry attack in March 2017, which claimed the lives of 11 people.
In January, a number of them turned the empty rooms of the only dispensary in the area to homes.
Two months ago, the county executive for health, Mary Panga, promised to deploy some staff to the dispensary and have it equipped. To date, this has not been done.
Contacted for comment, Ms Panga told The Standard she was in a meeting and was not able to respond on the matter.
Register to advertise your products & services on our classifieds website Digger.co.ke and enjoy one month subscription free of charge and 3 free ads on the Standard newspaper.
cholera outbreakbanditry attack