× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Health Magazine TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
menu search
Standard Logo
Home / Health & Science

Medical equipment missing as nuns take over disputed hospital

By JULIUS CHEPKWONY | Wed,Jan 24 2018 00:00:00 EAT

 St Mary's Mission Hospital CEO Dr Gerald Njue during an interview in his office on January 22, 2018. [Photo:Julius Chepkwony]

Operations at a hospital at the centre of a court dispute have been paralysed after medical equipment was allegedly vandalised.

St Marys Mission Hospital in Gilgil, on the Nakuru-Nairobi highway, is now under the management of Assumption Sisters of Nairobi, who took it over last week.

The hospital’s CEO, Gabriel Njue, yesterday said that four theatres remained closed as anaesthesia machines were missing.

“We took over on Friday and later realised the laboratory was not operational. We could not do haemogram and biochemistry tests. The anaesthesia and dialysis machines are also missing,” said Dr Njue.

He added that the mystery behind the disappearance of the equipment had yet to be explained as there were no break-ins at the hospital.

When The Standard team visited the hospital, it found equipment - anaesthesia and dialysis machines and theatre monitors - missing

Only one small operation room had a machine, but no patient could be treated as the surgical sets were missing.

The CCTV cameras had been pulled down and the hospital could only offer limited outpatient services.

“The theatre is empty, we cannot even perform a minor operation. The machines and equipment were vandalised in all the operation rooms. We don’t have basic equipment,” said Silvanus Wafula, the nursing services manager.

Hospital records show that a biopsy, a major operation, was last conducted at the facility on January 16, three days before the nuns took control of the hospital.

Tissues waiting to be taken for testing in Nairobi had been left in a container in a room.

Related Topics

Share this story