Sonko issues health update to his supporters

By Vincent Kejitan | Friday, Dec 13th 2019 at 11:11
Share this story:

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko on Thursday issued a statement via his social media platforms a day after he was released on bail.

The governor admitted that the past few days had been difficult for him but thanked his family for standing with him.

He also divulged that he is currently at home continuing with treatment.

“The last few days have been a bit difficult. However, I would like to thank my family, friends well-wishers and all of you the great people of Nairobi for standing with me.

“I am home now and continuing with my treatment after posting bail through the assistance of my supporters, friends and family,” he said.

Adding: As I have always said, I am a law-abiding citizen, hence shall comply with the court's decision that I stay away from my office to let justice take its course.”

Sonko was on Tuesday taken to the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) after reportedly falling ill at the Kamiti Maximum Prison where he was remanded.

His defence team argued before Anti-Corruption Court Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti that the governor was sick and required medical attention after being roughed up by security personnel who arrested him in Voi last week.

“Due to the urgency of the medical treatment of the accused (Mike Sonko), though disputed, it is ordered that his admission to hospital will be certified by the prisons medical centre in the presence of his physician in order for him to be escorted to any other hospital for his medical attention as soon as that can be arranged,” ruled Magistrate Ogoti.

Share this story:
Other related topics:

Latest Stories