How much missing out on Champions League will cost Man Utd flops
Manchester United’s failure to secure Champions League football for next season will be a massive financial blow to their under-performing players.
United's hopes of securing a place in Europe’s elite club competition were dashed after Sunday's 1-1 draw at relegated Huddersfield, meaning they’ll have to settle with the Europa League.
And unfortunately for the players, failure to secure a top-four Premier League finish this season will see every United player have their basic salary reduced by a whopping 25 per cent.
This was the case when they last missed out on Champions League qualification before Jose Mourinho’s arrival in 2016.
Paul Pogba, whose current deal sees him earn £300,000 a week, will be one of the most affected players at Old Trafford.
Not only will he see his weekly wages cut to £225,000, but he also stands to lose out on a whopping £1.8million bonus.
The Daily Mail claims that the World Cup winner earns the yearly bonus every time United qualify for the Champions League, so their latest setback will be a huge blow to Pogba.
The Frenchman faces an uncertain future at Old Trafford, with Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane keen on bringing him to the Bernabeu this summer.
Pogba isn’t the only player linked with a switch away, with Alexis Sanchez likely to leave after failing to live up to his potential following his move from Arsenal in January last year.
Should the Chile star remain in Manchester, however, he will see his enormous £500,000-a-week salary cut by £125,000 to £375,000.
Other top earners inclusive Romelu Lukaku, who will have his £250,000-a-week reduced to £187,000 while David de Gea's £200,000 will become £150,000 and Fred's £175,000 will drop to £131,000.
- London Marathon 2019 embroiled in sexism row over finisher t-shirtsAthletics 2 months ago
- Arsenal highly unlikely to sign Wilfried Zaha as transfer saga turns uglyFootball 2 weeks ago
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 1 week ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 week ago
- Touch of class: Arsenal star Mesut Ozil rewards Kenyan boy for second timeFootball 1 month ago
- KCB Masters offer more lessons to Kenyan prosGolf 2 weeks ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 2 weeks ago