× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
menu search
Standard Logo HEALTH
Home / Health & Science

County to probe case of 'stolen' new-born at Rift Valley Provincial General Hospital

By MERCY KAHENDA | 5 years ago

The Rift Valley Provincial General Hospital has handed over a report to the county government to enable it commence investigations into the alleged stealing of a new-born baby.

This comes after a couple said a nurse attached to the facility disappeared with their baby after birth.

The hospital’s Deputy Medical Superintendent Beatrice Etemesi told The Standard that the hospital administration had recommended a DNA test to solve the conflict.

Dr Etemesi said the decision was reached after the couple claimed a nurse at the prenatal ward disappeared with their new born daughter only for them to be told that the day-old baby had died.

The baby’s mother, Elizabeth Owino, had been admitted at the ward after she gave birth.

“The hospital has handed over a report on the incident to the county to conduct more investigations including a DNA test of the dead baby to determine truth of the matter,” she said.

According to Etemesi, the mother of the child was admitted at the facility on October 5 after being referred from Bondeni dispensary with anaemic history, though she was expectant.

On being admitted, Ms Owino, Etemesi said, was treated and on November 3 referred to the labour ward. She gave birth on November 4, before being transferred to the post-natal ward for observation.


The doctor, however, did not explain the discrepancy on what happened between the referral to the point when the baby was said to be dead after the family raised an issue on the whereabouts of the baby.

Despite the hospital administration’s stand that the couple’s baby died a few hours after birth, the baby’s father, one Mr Owino, maintained that his daughter did not die.

“I am not sure why two bodies were brought from the morgue for verification. There must have been a deal to confuse the whole process,” said Owino.

The father maintains that her girl was alive when a nurse picked her last Thursday morning from his wife’s bed at the ward.

“I reported at the hospital at around 7am and found my wife cleaning clothes outside the maternity ward. We later went to the room and she breastfeed the baby. I later received a phone call that the baby had died,” he narrated.

Mr Owino was, however, reluctant to undertake a DNA test due to his financial constraints and claimed that the process might take long for justice to prevail.

“The dead child was not mine. She was taller as compared to the one I had cuddled after birth. I am willing to drop the issue and leave everything to God, because He is the one who gives and takes,” he said.

Related Topics

Share this story