Deputy Chief Justice Philomena Mwilu has been arrested this afternoon following graft charges. Philomena Mwilu has been the acting Deputy Chief Justice of Kenya since October of 2016.
Mwilu was arrested by detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations over alleged corruption involving the collapsed Imperial Bank. She has been taken to DCI headquarters for questioning.
The DPP Noordin Haji has addressed the media saying that Philomena Mwilu will be charge with abuse of office, receiving bribes and failing to pay taxes.
Philomena first became popular among Kenyans during the pre-trial conference of the presidential petition in August 2017.
Here are some interesting facts about Deputy Chief Justice Philomena Mwilu that you probably don’t know:
1. She graduated from the University of Nairobi and was admitted as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya in 1984.
2. She has 32 years’ experience in the legal profession. She practiced law in two firms including Mutunga & Company Advocates
3. She was sworn in as the Deputy Chief Justice on 28th October 2016.
4. She supports polygamy. During an interview by the JSC, Justice Philomena Mwilu said she supported polygamy “as long as there is peace in the family.”
5. She trounced 12 women who had been shortlisted for the position of DCJ to become the current DCJ.
6. It is her first time sitting in a presidential petition.
SignUp For Newsletter
Get amazing content delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to our daily Newsletter.