The night of April 9, 2015 will forever remain etched in the minds of two underage girls living with albinism.
A workshop centred on the welfare of people living with albinism held in a Diani hotel in Kwale turned painfully tragic as the two fell victim to sex pests they looked up to for protection.
Anthony Kang’ethe and Josephat Muzungu, a children’s home caretaker, allegedly lured the two girls into their rooms to watch a movie before sexually assaulting them.
Anthony Kang’ethe is an aide to nominated Member of Parliament Isaac Mwaura, a renowned campaigner for the rights of people living with albinism in Kenya.
In what turned out to be a real-life horror movie for the girls, they were raped by the two men who should have protected them. While Muzungu was arrested, it is alleged that Mheshimiwa Isaac Mwaura protected Kang’ethe, who has never been brought to book.
Kang’ethe’s victim was 14 while Muzungu’s was 16 and both girls were part of a workshop for people living with albinism where the nominated MP was the chief guest.
One of the girls got pregnant and later dropped out of school.
According to a medical examination report from Diani Health Centre, the two girls were sexually defiled by people known to them as Samaritans.
The men recorded a statement at Ukunda Police Station in connection with the incident, but Mwaura’s aide, Kang’ethe, fled soon after.
Police, however, managed to arrest his accomplice after a medical examination confirmed the girl had been defiled.
Kang’ethe, who is said to have been sacked by MP Mwaura following the rape allegations, is still at large.
One of the girls, whom we can’t name for legal reasons, delivered a baby on December 27, 2015.
Contacted by The Nairobian over the matter, Mwaura said: “I have nothing to do with him (Kang’ethe). He is an adult and I handed him to the police. I cooperated with the authorities to the fullest.” Mwaura was nominated by ODM but has since decamped to the Jubilee coalition.
The politician who has expressed interest in contesting the Ruiru parliamentary seat come the 2017 General Election, added that the incident took place a year ago and “I do not understand why I am being dragged into this issue. I am not responsible for him and I have given all the help I can to the authorities. I am certain that the matter will be resolved.”