Nakuru 10s: Menengai Oilers lift main cup trophy
The Menengai Oilers stormed to victory at the Top Fry Great Rift 10-a-side rugby tournament that was held at the Nakuru Athletic Club this weekend after beating Menengai Cream Homeboyz 10-5 in a thrilling encounter that was played on Sunday evening.
Homeboyz opened the scoring through Philip Mwanzo who crossed the whitewash only to see his try unconverted.
The Oilers then hit back twice through an Anthony Kibet try and a Derrick Kioga try. The two tries went unconverted, leaving the scores at 10-5.
Speaking after the game, Oilers Coach Gibson Weru praised his team for the victory and compared them to the Rugby elite in Kenya.
"This is a culmination of hard work and kudos for the boys for proving they are equal to the big boys of Kenya rugby,” said Weru.
On the other side, an optimistic Homeboyz coach Simon Odongo acknowledged the good show put up by his boys and congratulated the winners for their victory.
"The boys put up a good show and congratulations to Oilers for winning the trophy,” said Odongo.
The Oilers cruised past KCB in the main cup semis, beating them 7-0 through a 20-year-old forward Harold Anduvate try which was converted by Davies Nyaundi. The second semi saw Homeboyz beat Blak Blad 19-0.
Michael Nyakundi, Barry Otieno and Brian Ayimba were the scorers for the Homeboyz in their victory.
Relegated Nakuru Top Fry grabbed the Challenge trophy after beating JKUAT 22-0. In the fifth-place match, MMUST beat Strathmore 35-10 while Blak Blad beat KCB 7-5 to finish in third.
In the Division two category, Nakuru Top Fry II beat Stingers 5-0 to emerge, winners, while their opponents settled for second best.
- Why Gor Mahia need a ‘miracle’ tonightFootball 1 month ago
- Big shots set for Eldoret City MarathonAthletics 1 month ago
- Man Utd flop Alexis Sanchez FINALLY makes decision on his future, sends powerful message to fansFootball 5 days ago
- Is coach Bitok headed to Kenya Pipeline?Volleyball and Handball 4 weeks ago
- Manchester City retain EPL title in thrilling racePremier League 1 week ago
- Chelsea star signs new two-year deal at Stamford BridgeFootball 2 weeks ago
- Photos that will remain painful memories to United fans after Messi’s magicFootball 1 month ago