Courtois laments unfair treatment in Spain
Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois claims he is receiving unfair treatment in Spain for a difficult first season at the club and defended his abilities after making an embarrassing error in Belgium's Euro 2020 qualifier with Russia on Thursday.
An ill-calculated dribble by Courtois resulted in the Belgium stopper being dispossessed in his area which allowed Denis Cheryshev to equalise for Russia in the game. Belgium went on to win 3-1.
The mistake completed a difficult week for the keeper, who was dropped by Zinedine Zidane in his first game back in charge of Real Madrid against Celta Vigo last Saturday, recalling Keylor Navas in his place.
Courtois has had a difficult debut campaign at Madrid since signing from Chelsea and feels he has been harshly treated in Spain for his role in the team's haphazard season, which has left them without a realistic chance of winning a trophy.
"I still consider myself one of the best in the world, even though the Spanish press want to kill me," Courtois told Belgian media.
"I feel strong, I'm calm, playing well and training well."
Courtois also shrugged off his mistake against Russia.
"I got a nudge from the Russian attacker," he said.
"I didn't have the strength to clear it. I made a bit of a mistake, but that's the life of a goalkeeper. After that, I calmed down and played my game."
Belgium forward Eden Hazard, who scored two goals against Russia after Courtois' mistake, tried to ease tension after the game by joking about his team mate's mishap.
"He watches a lot of videos of my actions and then he tries to copy me. The problem is he is much taller than me, so it isn't that easy," Hazard said.
- JESUS WEPT! Brazil superstar punches VAR before breaking down in tearsFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Ighalo seeks to burst South African bubbleFootball 1 month ago
- Moussa Dembele makes Man Utd transfer decision amid Liverpool and Arsenal interestFootball 2 months ago
- Points to catch Safari Rally action today for freeSports 1 month ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea fans react after Lampard’s appointment as managerFootball 1 month ago
- Messi fumes at Copa America Football 1 month ago