Arturo Vidal announces retirement from international duty following Chile's World Cup qualifying failure
Arturo Vidal has announced his international retirement.
Vidal, 30, confirmed his decision after Chile failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.
The Bayern Munich midfielder planned to call it a day after next summer's tournament but has moved his decision forward.
The 3-0 defeat to Brazil was Vidal's 99th appearance for La Roja, having made his debut back in 2007.
He announced the decision in an emotional post on Instagram.
Chile were well-placed going into the final round of fixtures but were beaten 3-0 by Brazil.
However, after Argentina beat Ecuador and Peru drew with Paraguay, they dropped to sixth and out of contention.
Boss Juan Antonio Pizzi has also announced he will quit following the defeat.
His exit is likely to coincide with the retirement of several big names from Chile's golden generation, including Gary Medel and Claudio Bravo.
- Real Madrid’s plans for stunning Sh41 billion stadium revealed [Photos]Football 1 hour ago
- Olunga’s new club Kashiwa Reysol fighting hard to avoid relegationFootball 15 hours ago
- Sang: We won't phase out Kipchoge Keino's nameAthletics 12 hours ago
- Champions League Group A: Atletico shake off domestic woes to clinch comeback win at MonacoFootball 11 hours ago
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 11 hours ago
- Barcelona 4-0 PSV Eindhoven: Messi scores stunning hat-trick in Champions LeagueFootball 4 hours ago
- Sh1.1m raised for noble cause: Chebii swings to victory as Weru registers maiden course Hole-in-OneGolf 1 day ago