Arturo Vidal announces retirement from international duty following Chile's World Cup qualifying failure
Arturo Vidal has announced his international retirement.
Vidal, 30, confirmed his decision after Chile failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.
The Bayern Munich midfielder planned to call it a day after next summer's tournament but has moved his decision forward.
The 3-0 defeat to Brazil was Vidal's 99th appearance for La Roja, having made his debut back in 2007.
He announced the decision in an emotional post on Instagram.
Chile were well-placed going into the final round of fixtures but were beaten 3-0 by Brazil.
However, after Argentina beat Ecuador and Peru drew with Paraguay, they dropped to sixth and out of contention.
Boss Juan Antonio Pizzi has also announced he will quit following the defeat.
His exit is likely to coincide with the retirement of several big names from Chile's golden generation, including Gary Medel and Claudio Bravo.
- Class act as Senegal fans help clean up stadium after defeating PolandWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago
- English star faces axe against Panama after disappointing performanceWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- Senegal coach Cisse reveals secret weapon to victory over PolandWorld Cup 2018 3 hours ago
- Arsenal midfield star to leave the club after 17 years of serviceFootball 4 hours ago
- Did you know this interesting fact about Senegal’s 23-man squad for World Cup?World Cup 2018 3 hours ago
- Queens battle Leeds in MumiasFootball 14 hours ago
- VIDEOS: Song and dance as Portugal, Morocco fans bask in Luzhniki Stadium ahead of crucial matchWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago