× Digital News Videos Opinion Special Reports Lifestyle Central Coast Eastern Nairobi North Eastern Nyanza Rift Valley Western Business News Stocks Financial Standard Africa Asia America Europe Weird News Editorial Commentary Letters Crazy World Features Entertainment Money & Careers Health & Science Sci & Tech Home & Away Generation Next Cartoon Education Pointblank Environment Travel & Destination Columns Kipkoech Tanui uReport Kiambu Murang'a Nyandarua Kirinyaga Nyeri Baringo Bomet Elgeyo Kajiado Kericho Laikipia Nakuru Nandi Narok Samburu Trans Nzoia Turkana Mombasa Kwale Kilifi Tanariver Taita Taveta Kakamega Vihiga Bungoma Busia Siaya Kisumu Homabay Migori Kisii Nyamira Nairobi Uasin Gishu West Pokot Sunday Magazine The Hague Trial Kenya @ 50 Education and Training Health and Environment Insurance and Financial Security Housing Current Affairs Humour Makau Mutua David Oginde Clay Muganda Comand Your Morning Mohamed Wehliye Wednesday Life Alexander Chagema Arts & Culture Kamotho Waiganjo Barrack Muluka Xn Iraki Urban Rights - By Steve Ouma Branding Voice KCB Fredrick Ogola Sunday Magazine Wanja Kavengi Njoki Kaigai David Oginde Ken Opalo Daisy Maritim Houghton Irungu Hustle News Group Stages Round of 16 Quarter Finals Semi Finals Finals Third Place play-offs Opinion Dr Pesa Podcasts Round Table Sepetuko Eve Woman Ramadhan Special Fact Check Correction Explainers The Standard Insider Blog E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Teen in brutal Naivasha murder to be detained for nine more days

By Antony Gitonga | December 2nd 2019 at 02:30:10 GMT +0300

The 17-year-old boy who allegedly stabbed to death a 16-year old girl in Naivasha last will be detained in Naivasha police station for nine more days.

This follows a successful application by the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) officers who sought more time to conduct a mental check up on the Form Three student from Nanyuki High School.

The minor who looked lost in thought appeared before Naivasha Chief Magistrate Kennedy Bidali but did not take a plea.

The magistrate however termed 14 days as too long and allowed the investigation officers nine days instead.

The teenager dressed in a brown T-shirt said in whispering voice that he was not opposed to his continued detention.

The magistrate directed that he be detained at Naivasha Police Station and that a report on his age and mental condition be availed in court on the 11th of December.

On Friday last week, residents of Mirera located 20kms from Naivasha town woke up to find the body of Valarie Njeri dumped outside the accused's home.

The body had twenty-six times stab wounds and the throat was slit. Police discovered traces of blood in the accused's room.

The girl went missing on Thursday from her parents' posho mill which she had been manning, only for her body to be discovered the following day.

Through a sworn affidavit, Corporal Collins Shikuku from Naivasha CID office sought to hold the accused for an extra 14 days to complete investigations.

Shikuku told the court that they wanted to take the accused for a mental check-up, age assessment, conduct a postmortem and record witness statements.

 This came as the deceased’s family set Wednesday as the date of postmortem.

“We intend to bury her on Thursday God willing and burial plans are underway at the family home in Mirera Naivasha,” said a relative.

 The mother of the suspect Susan Warugu told of their shock on learning that the murder occurred inside their three-bedroom house.

She said that they shared a meal with their son unaware that there was a body dumped under one of the beds.

Warugu who works in one of the flower farms said that she noticed something was amiss on Friday morning when she found his son studying in the table room.

Read More