× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Eve Magazine TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
menu search
Standard Logo
Home / Entertainment

Meghan Markle and Harry 'still facing tension with royals' ahead of end of Megxit deal

 Meghan and Harry have lots of exciting things coming up (Image: PA)

It's almost been a year since Meghan Markle and Prince Harry shocked the world - and their loved ones - when they announced their plans to quit the royal family.

The couple's bombshell statement dropped on January 8, which kicked off panic talks behind palace walls as The Firm worked out the logistics of the Sussexes' post-royal lives.

After the details were finally worked out, the couple were given a 12 month trial period to see how everything went - which is due to expire soon.

However, The Mirror's royal editor Russell Myers believes the couple may ask for an extension as their plans were delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Speaking on Lorraine, he explains: "They've made so many plans over the last year.

"They've been signing megadeals with Nexflix, with Spotify, they've been doing Instagram stories with Oprah Winfrey.

"There is an awful lot in the pipeline for Meghan and Harry.

"But it's going to be the end of their 12 month Megxit deal, and there have been a lot of reports on whether Meghan and Harry will ask for a 12 month extension.

"We've all been in limbo this year, haven't we, so they haven't necessarily got their Archewell charity off the ground, it's just started with the Spotify programme.

"So potentially, they'll be going to the Queen for an extension."

However, Russell explains that the upset caused by Meghan and Harry's decision to quit their senior royals is still there, which could have an impact on what happens next.

The couple reportedly only gave Princes Charles and William 10 minutes warning of their statement, in which they said they planned to move to north America and become financially independent.

Russell explains: "But tensions are still running very high with the rest of the royal family so it remains to be seen whether they will allow them to sign the extension, have a little break or whether they will cut their losses and go on their merry way."

 There are reportedly still tensions with the rest of the royal family (Image: Getty Images)

However it's believed that Charles's coronavirus diagnoses in the spring brought Harry and William back together, with the brothers sharing regular updates on the phone.

Royal expert Katie Nicholl told True Royalty TV's The Royal Beat: "Harry was obviously desperately worried about his father and feeling miles away in LA.

"He needed that connection back home. That was the ice breaker."

She explained that this had opened up the line of communication and relations improved enough that the families caught up virtually over Christmas.

She adds: "I think it's no secret that there were great tensions and great difficulties in the relationship.

"There was an unbreakable bond between them and they were so close.

"I don't think they will ever be close the way that they were, but there has been nine months now since Megxit. I think relations are better between them.

"I know they are in touch, they do talk. Harry has sent over a load of Christmas presents for the Cambridge children.

"They will Zoom, they will chat over the holidays.

"There is contact, there is friendly contact. But it's not what it was."

Related Topics

Share this story
.
RECOMMENDED