This definitive housework guide will show you how dirty your home REALLY is
If you like to put off the housework, then look away now - the list just got a LOT longer
Few people really relish the idea of cleaning their homes .
We're not talking about listlessly vacuuming around the furniture, or absent-mindedly wiping around objects, or even feeling victorious for remembering to take out the rubbish.
Real, deep-cleaning. The sort which requires serious elbow-grease and cleaning solutions you're totally unfamiliar with.
If you've ever noticed rogue dust bunnies, fingerprints, smudgy windows, stains and dried-on food which escaped your attention first time round, don't worry.
Not only are you definitely not alone in this, but Good Housekeeping have come to your aid. Sort of.
Because by 'aid', what we actually mean is, they've come up with a guide on how often EVERYTHING in your house needs to be cleaned. Which may in fact make more work for you.
It covers everything, from those teeny daily tasks, to the big yearly ones which will ensure you could eat your dinner off your floor (if you so choose).
What you should be doing every DAY
- Making a bed in the morning has been linked to an uplift in mood (plus, you've already achieved something by the time you've left the house)
- Washing the dishes
- Wiping down kitchen surfaces
- Sweeping the kitchen floor
- Wiping down the bathroom surfaces
- Sponging off the shower walls
- Sanitising the sinks in your house
Already, the jobs are stacking up, but if you think about it, they shouldn't take that long.
In fairness, if you're out after work - or simply exhausted - one night off can't hurt. But you should definitely make your bed every morning.
Do you manage at least half of these every day?
What you should be doing every WEEK
- Mopping a floor
- Get mopping the floor on your weekly 'to-do' list
- Mop the kitchen and bathroom floors
- Scrub the bathroom surfaces
- Polish mirrors
- Dust furniture
- Vacuum all floors
- Change all bedding
- Bin expired food
- Wipe down kitchen appliances
- Clean the microwave (including inside)
- Sanitise your sponges
There's a weekend's work right there. If this sounds like the stuff of 'deep cleans' to you, then be warned, this is just the bare minimum. The REALLY detailed stuff is yet to come.
Do you manage at least half of these every week?
What you should be doing every THREE to SIX MONTHS
- Washing a car
- Wiping the inside of fridge
- Wash the shower curtain
- Clean under and behind furniture
- Wash pillows and duvets
- Vacuum all mattresses
- Freshen the drains
- Clean inside of the oven
- Clean out the freezer
- Wash the car
Good news if you don't own a car. Bad news if you own a shower curtain. There are tasks on here we'd never even thought of (vacuuming the mattresses). You'd need three months to recover.
Do you manage at least half of these jobs every 3-6 months?
And what you should be doing every YEAR
- Clean the fireplace and chimney
- Deep clean the carpet and upholstery
- Deep the windows
- Clean curtains and drapes
- Clean out gutters
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.