Cristiano Ronaldo quarantined after teammate Daniele Rugani tests positive
Cristiano Ronaldo is in quarantine in Portugal after Juventus teammate Daniele Rugani tested positive for coronavirus.
Rugani announced he had contracted the virus on Wednesday, 72 hours after he sat on the bench for Juventus' win over Inter Milan.
The defender shared the same dressing room as Ronaldo and the rest of his teammates at the San Siro, where the game was played behind closed doors.
Now all players from both teams have been forced to self-isolate, with Ronaldo returning to Madeira.
Northern Italy is one of the worst-affected areas in Europe, and Ronaldo will not be coming back to Turin for the time being.
Ronaldo's mother, Dolores, 65, has recently suffered a stroke, and it is thought the striker has made another trip home to visit her. All Serie A fixtures have been postponed until April 3, but Juventus are - as things stand - due to play Lyon in the Champions League next week.
The tie is set to be played behind closed doors, but now faces an increased prospect of it being put back to a later date.
Several other Champions League fixtures have been forced to prohibit fans from attending, with only Man City vs Real Madrid currently still open to supporters.
Rugani posted a message to fans on Twitter after news of his diagnosis was announced.
"You will have read the news and that's why I want to reassure all those who are worrying about me, I'm fine," Rugani said. "I urge everyone to respect the rules, because this virus makes no distinctions! Let's do it for ourselves, for our loved ones and for those around us."
President of the Italian Football Federation, Gabriele Gravina, has now put forward alternative options to conclude the Serie A season after admitting the current campaign may not be able to reach a natural conclusion.
- Ronaldo names Messi as favourite player to watchFootball 1 day ago
- FKF polls: Football players want a quick resolution to poll crisis and credible exerciseFootball 1 hour ago
- Liverpool’s training return a massive lift for KloppFootball 1 day ago
- MLS players send new restart proposal to leagueFootball 2 days ago
- Chelsea stars take the knee as Premier League stars lead way on Blackout TuesdayFootball 7 hours ago
- Fans could return for 20-21 season, says Premier League chiefFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Stars dust spikes in readiness for epic race on June 11Athletics 1 hour ago