Mauricio Pochettino sacked by Tottenham Hotspur after disappointing start to season
Mauricio Pochettino's Tottenham Hotspur reign is no more after he was sacked by Spurs on Tuesday night.
A club statement declared that the Argentine, along with his coaching staff of Jesus Perez, Miguel D’Agostino and Antoni Jimenez, have been relieved of their duties.
Just over five months ago, Pochettino was on the brink of Champions League glory following Spurs' remarkable run to the final, the culmination of a season in which he was also heavily linked with the jobs at Manchester United and Real Madrid.
But after defeat to Liverpool in Madrid, Spurs have endured a wretched start to the current campaign.
Spurs have won just three league games so far this season and only six of their last 24; Pochettino has cut a frustrated figure for much of the current season.
Chairman, Daniel Levy, said: "We were extremely reluctant to make this change and it is not a decision the Board has taken lightly, nor in haste.
“Regrettably domestic results at the end of last season and beginning of this season have been extremely disappointing.
“It falls to the Board to make the difficult decisions - this one made more so given the many memorable moments we have had with Mauricio and his coaching staff - but we do so in the Club's best interests.
“Mauricio and his coaching staff will always be part of our history. I have the utmost admiration for the manner in which he dealt with the difficult times away from a home ground whilst we built the new stadium and for the warmth and positivity he brought to us.
"I should like to thank him and his coaching staff for all they have contributed. They will always be welcome here.
“We have a talented squad. We need to re-energise and look to deliver a positive season for our supporters.”
- Masinde Muliro upbeat ahead of Strathmore top of the table clashRugby 2 days ago
- Russia braces for four-year Olympic ban over doping scandalSports 1 day ago
- United Arab Emirates head coach sacked after loss to QatarFootball 2 days ago
- Qatar postpones launch of new 2022 World Cup venueFootball 13 hours ago
- Aubameyang ready to quit Arsenal Gossip & Rumours 17 hours ago
- Kenya Cup: Impala beat Quins as Kabras Sugar win again Rugby 3 hours ago
- BREAKING: Marco Silva sacked as Everton managerPremier League 2 days ago