Rugby: Lucky Nakuru RFC out of relegation position
Former champions Nakuru RFC hauled themselves out of the Kenya Cup relegation zone with a come-from-behind 25-18 win against fellow strugglers Kenya Harlequin at the weekend.
Nakuru, under the tutelage of Kenya women’s coach Felix Oloo, trailed 18-3 at half-time before second half tries by Hanningtone Wabwire, John Okoth, Jenkins Kipruto and Collins Onyango aided them to complete the comeback.
The bonus-point win took Nakuru’s points tally to six, two above the relegation zone, which is now occupied by returnees Kisumu RFC and Quins, the only side yet to register a win in the league.
Nakuru, who won back-to-back Kenya Cup titles in 2013 and 2014, will be looking to build on their first win of the season as they travel to Western Bulls this weekend.
After suffering three losses in succession, Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad also got off the mark, thumping Brian Makalama’s Kisumu RFC 31-3. The result propelled the students to seventh position with seven points.
Kabras Sugar, one of three sides yet to taste defeat this term, preserved their unbeaten record with an emphatic 40-15 win against Nondescripts at the Jamhuri Showground.
Although they are tied on 20 points with defending champions KCB, Henly Du Plessis’ charges are still in control of the 12-team league by virtue of their superior point difference(172).
“We planned to start on a high and run them (Nondies) around and it worked well in the first half. We let in soft tries in the final stages, but we are glad with the result,” said Du Plessis, whose team was yet to concede a try prior to the Nondies meeting.
“We are pushing to make it to the playoffs and ideally, we intend to finish on top of the standings. This is the season we want to work hard that’s why I was not happy with the cheap tries we allowed Nondies to score,” the South African said.
KCB defeated Menengai Oilers 43-13.
- Real Madrid announce Reinier signing from FlamengoFootball 16 hours ago
- Schools: Agoro Sare and Tigoi Girls defend Biro Lich High School basketball titlesBasketball 1 day ago
- Burnley fight back to sink LeicesterFootball 1 day ago
- Rugby: It's yet another routine win for Strathmore Rugby 1 day ago
- Schools: Coast teams prepare for tourneys in MombasaSports 1 day ago
- Here’s when Arsenal lost its soul - Wenger Football 1 day ago
- Five women to watch at the Australian Open [Photos] Tennis 2 days ago