Lionel Messi returns to full Barcelona training
Lionel Messi has returned to Barcelona training after six weeks on the sidelines - but will not be ready to face Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday night.
Superstar Messi is yet to appear for Barca this season after he returned from pre-season late and then struggled with a persistent thigh problem.
The 32-year-old teamed up with Ousmane Dembele to train on Sunday morning, as Ernesto Valverde's players, who didn't play on Saturday night, training ahead of the Champions League's return this week.
An image of the session on Barca's Twitter feed showed Messi involved in what looked like a passing game.
"It looked like it was just going to be a small period he would be out for at first," Valverde said about Messi on Saturday. "Apparently his scar opened a little bit so it’s told us we need to exercise a little bit of caution.
"I don’t think it’s long until he’ll be back again. Tuesday I don’t know, probably later.
"Messi is a very, very important player for us I can’t deny that. But there have been other times when he hasn’t played and we’ve got through games well. He had the arm problem last year and the team responded very well.
"Of course he’s a decisive player, he can change games because of what he does not just to our players but to the opposition as well.
"He’s the best player in the world, we want him back as soon as possible, but we want him back at full fitness, not coming back and then having a setback."
Barca returned to winning ways in La Liga on Saturday evening when they beat Valencia 5-2, in front of a watching Messi.
Teenage wonderkid Anssumane Fati opened the scoring with Frenkie De Jong, Gerard Pique and Luis Suarez, who scored a brace, also getting on the scoresheet.
- Tusker make light work of Wazito to go take league leadSports 2 days ago
- Zico dedicates Harambee Stars win to suspended KimanziFootball 2 days ago
- Malkia Strikers promise to deliver Olympics slotVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Gritty Thunder strike Ulinzi WarriorsBasketball 2 days ago
- Man United and Liverpool in transfer battle to sign Bayer Leverkusen talentPremier League 2 days ago
- Njoroge seeks back to back winsGolf 2 days ago
- FIFA to take legal action to recover $2 million from PlatiniFootball 2 days ago