Nduva beats huge field to win Uganda Open prize
Amateur golfer Daniel Nduva yesterday ended Uganda’s 15-year dominance in the Castle Lite Uganda Open Golf Championship at the par 72 Lake Victoria Serena Golf Resort and Spa course in Kigo, Uganda.
Nduva, a Nyali Club golfer, carded 286 gross to claim victory in the contest that Nicholas Rokoine last won for Kenya in 2004.
Nduva started with a three over par 75 gross in the first round on Wednesday, then posted a two under 70 gross on Thursday before adding one under par 71 gross on Friday. He finished the last rounds yesterday with two under par 70 gross to win the title.
“I attribute it to hard training and patience. I am excited and I dedicate the victory to Kenya and my home club in Mombasa,” said Nduva.
Kenyans dominated the leader board as Great Rift Valley’s Simon Njogu returned second with 287 gross, just a stroke behind the winner after playing 75,71 and 72 in the four rounds.
Kenya Railways Samuel Njoroge came third with 288 gross while Ugandans Joseph Cwinyaai of Tooro Club came fourth with 293 gross.
Dennis Asaba and defending champion Ronald Otile, both of Tooro Club, tied in fifth place with 295 gross.
Muthaiga’s Zubair Khan (298), Thika Sports Peter Rimui (301), Vet Lab’s Michael Kisia (303), Nyali’s Adel Balala (304) and Golf Park’s William Odera (304) were other Kenyans in top ten.
The four-day event is Uganda’s premier amateur tournament and came just few days after Ladies Open that Uganda’s Martha Babirye won.
A Pro-Am tournament gets underway on Tuesday before Dismas Indiza of Mumias Club starts his professional title defence bid at the Uganda Open on Wednesday, where leads a team of 24 Kenyan professionals.
Professionals from Uganda, Ethiopia, Botswana, France, Ghana, Malawi, Nigeria, Kenya, Senegal, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe will be chasing the Sh5.2 million ($50,000) prize money.
The event will run concurrently with the ongoing 12 series of the East African Safari Tour as they consolidate points towards 2019 Kenya Open.
- Romelu Lukaku vs Chris Smalling clash labelled 'Black Friday'Football 9 hours ago
- Cecafa task won’t be too heavy for KimanziSports 16 hours ago
- UEFA President explains new offside proposal, slams VARFootball 1 day ago
- Lakers Hockey Club savour inaugural season in Premier LeagueHockey 8 hours ago
- Masinde Muliro upbeat ahead of Strathmore top of the table clashRugby 9 hours ago
- Solskjaer sends warning to Man Utd under-performing stars Premier League 1 day ago
- The football sacking season is here...Who's next?Football 1 day ago