Robots will be used at next Olympic Games, reveal Tokyo 2020 chiefs
Robots are set to be used at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The organising committee for next summer's games has launched the Tokyo 2020 Robot Project - one of many programmes aimed at making it the most innovative of all time.
The Games get underway on July 24 2020, returning to the Japanese capital for the first time since in 56 years.
Toyota have developed a Human Support Robot and Delivery Support Robot that will allow spectators to enjoy watching the Games in greater comfort.
The robots will also provide event information, guide people to their seats and help disabled spectators by carrying food and other items.
Leader of the Robot Project Hirohisa Hirukawa, said: “The Tokyo Games are a unique opportunity for us to display Japanese robot technology.
"This project will not simply be about exhibiting robots, but showcasing their practical, real-life deployment helping people. So there will not only be sports at the Tokyo 2020 Games but also some cool robots at work to look forward to as well.”
Power Assist Suits will also be used in and around the venues and in the athletes' village.
They will be used to help transport heavy objects and for waste disposal, providing a safer and healthier environment.
Tokyo 2020 Vice Director General Masaaki Komiya added: "We are kicking off this robot project with the help of many people in order to help realise a truly innovative Games, as stated in Tokyo 2020’s vision.
"I would like as many people as possible to experience these technologies, which are one of Japan’s strengths. I believe that through these technologies we will be able to showcase a new style of Games.”
- ‘Man City look like world's best but…’ – Klopp isn’t holding backPremier League 2 weeks ago
- Klopp tells Liverpool fans to get good night's sleep ahead of gameFootball 1 month ago
- UEFA: Ronaldo fined 20,000 euros for ‘cojones’ celebrationFootball 1 month ago
- Kenyan star footballer busted kissing cop’s daughter, forced to produce cash Gossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago
- Chelsea manager Sarri charged with misconductFootball 8 hours ago
- Harambee Stars to face Mané, Mahrez in Afcon 2019Football 1 week ago
- Ulinzi Stars inflict second defeat on BandariFootball 1 month ago