As the clock ticks towards the rollout of junior secondary schools, the umbrella Kenya Private Schools Association (KPSA) has assured the government their total support will be effected in their schools come January.
KPSA says as a supplement to the government, they are burning midnight oil in order to meet the 5,000 classes target promised to the government before the transition at the end of the year.
Speaking after a consultative meeting for County officials across the country held at a Nairobi hotel, KPSA chairman Charles Ochome said that so far, the private sector has put up 2,500 classes and promised to reach the targeted 5,000 classrooms before the end of the year.
‘‘We are here to highlight our schools’ preparedness towards the commitment we made to the government of 5,000 classrooms. The Cabinet Secretary has toured some of them and currently he is in the Lake Region,’’ said Ochome.
However, Ochome noted that only private schools that will meet the bare minimum requirements will be certified.
‘‘Government is inspecting schools and with the guidelines that meet the standards for holding the JS they will be given a nod. This means that some of the schools will hold two or three classrooms for Junior Secondary,’’ he said.
He further said school directors are encouraged to put up more classrooms in order to meet the demands of learners in January transition.
‘‘Over one million students are preparing for transition and we are expected to put up more infrastructure in order to supplement the government effort. We urge all our directors to invest more in classrooms so that we don’t experience a surge in student intake,’’ he said.
Ochome said the association will be holding an Annual Directors Conference in Mombasa starting July 4-6 to affirm to the government their preparedness.
‘‘We will be having the KPSA Annual Directors Conference in Mombasa for three days starting 4-6 July, 2022 to show our commitment to our preparedness over Junior Secondary. The Cabinet Secretary will be in attendance to engage private school investors further. CBC is here to stay,’’ he said.
Cabinet Secretary Prof George Magoha has encouraged private schools to develop JSSs as he also assured them of transparency in the selection process.
On Monday, the CS visited Moi Education Centre to inspect the infrastructure put in place in readiness for the transition.
The CS allayed fears that private schools are not ready to host the pioneer batch of Grade Seven as boarders.
“Parents should not panic over the Grade Seven students since both the government and private schools will accommodate all the students. With 10,000 classes from public and another 5,000 from the private schools we will manage the transition,” said Magoha.
He urged parents to retain their learners at their centres, adding there will be a smooth transition.
“It would be very important for the parents who already have their children in private schools to retain them in Junior Secondary facilities that are established within those schools so that the cut-throat competition that comes after standard eight be postponed to year 10,’’ he said.
Moi Education Centre Principal Eunice Muthusi said they are way ahead of preparation for transition with 12 equipped laboratories, 30 classrooms, a music auditorium and a stadium.