If you are looking for meals that are delicious, nutritious and that won’t break the bank, look no more. With just a few ingredients, most of which might already be in your kitchen, you can put together meals that will leave you licking your fingers and asking for more.
Egg fried rice
This is a simple meal that contains all the food groups you need. It’s also a good way of utilising leftover rice.
1/8kg (one glass) rice, cooked and cooled – Sh.30
3 eggs, cooked and scrambled – Sh.30
1 medium onion – Sh.10
1 small spring onion (if desired) – Sh.10
ALSO READ: Easy recipe: Mango and passion cooler
4 cloves of garlic, crushed – Sh.20
1 large carrot, cubed – Sh.20
1 large green bell pepper, cubed – Sh.10
3 tablespoons of cooking oil/olive oil
Salt to taste
- Place a non-stick pan on medium heat and add cooking oil.
- Add chopped onions and allow to cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir until cooked. Make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Toss bell pepper and carrots allowing them to cook lightly.
- Add the cooked and cooled rice and stir well.
- Sprinkle in salt and stir.
- Add the eggs and mix over low heat. Allow to cook for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
- Serve and sprinkle with chopped spring onion and enjoy your meal under Sh.500
Amount Spent: Sh.130!
ALSO READ: Easy recipe: Kofta (meatballs) with eggs