If you are looking for meals that are delicious, nutritious and that won’t break the bank, look no more. With just a few ingredients, most of which might already be in your kitchen, you can put together meals that will leave you licking your fingers and asking for more.
ALSO READ: Ingredient of the week: Tomato sauce
Egg fried rice
This is a simple meal that contains all the food groups you need. It’s also a good way of utilising leftover rice.
1/8kg (one glass) rice, cooked and cooled – Sh.30
3 eggs, cooked and scrambled – Sh.30
1 medium onion – Sh.10
1 small spring onion (if desired) – Sh.10
ALSO READ: Easy recipes: Mini pancake skewers
4 cloves of garlic, crushed – Sh.20
1 large carrot, cubed – Sh.20
1 large green bell pepper, cubed – Sh.10
3 tablespoons of cooking oil/olive oil
Salt to taste
- Place a non-stick pan on medium heat and add cooking oil.
- Add chopped onions and allow to cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir until cooked. Make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Toss bell pepper and carrots allowing them to cook lightly.
- Add the cooked and cooled rice and stir well.
- Sprinkle in salt and stir.
- Add the eggs and mix over low heat. Allow to cook for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
- Serve and sprinkle with chopped spring onion and enjoy your meal under Sh.500
Amount Spent: Sh.130!
ALSO READ: Easy recipe: Scrambled eggs on toast
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.