President Uhuru Kenyatta and opposition leader Raila Odinga have welcomed the ICC ‘no case to answer’ ruling against Deputy President Uhuru Kenyatta and radio journalist Joshua arap Sang.
In a statement released to the public, Uhuru applauded the ICC decision saying he believed the case was “ill-conceived and never grounded on the proper examination of our experience of 2007/2008 as a nation”. Uhuru said the conclusion of the case also meant an end to the nightmare for Kenya and declared that the country would now fully embark on “efforts towards nation building, promotion peace and security”.
He promised that Kenya would continue to pursue ways to pursue ways to improve the delivery of international justice, uphold the rule of law and promote a just and fair global order.
The President recognized the steps Kenya has made so far since the dark days in the aftermath of the 2007 elections and promised that Kenya continue the work of healing the nation, uniting people, reconciling communities & ensuring that justice for the victims is achieved.
In his statement, Raila congratulated Ruto following the ruling of the court saying he now hopes that the victims will receive long overdue justice in the form of reparations from Government. He also added that ODM never planned, organised or perpetrated any violence against anybody.
- Future presidents should work well with their deputies
- Raila, Ruto votes in the 6 constituencies announced by Chebukati
- Kalonzo gifts Raila a million votes
- Uhuru delivers five of six stadia promised to his Mt Kenya turf
Asserting that he had promised not to celebrate until after the two (Ruto and Sang) were cleared of the charges, President Uhuru invited Kenyans for a thanksgiving service at the Afraha Stadium, Nakuru, on Saturday 16th April 2016. He said this would be an opportunity “opportunity for prayers for healing, reconciliation and unity of Kenya as we push on the path of inclusive prosperity for all”.