Maurizio Sarri: Really annoying that Messi has won more Ballons d'Or than Cristiano Ronaldo
Juventus manager Maurizio Sarri has admitted it is annoying that Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has more golden balls than Cristiano Ronaldo.
Messi moved one ahead of Ronaldo for the Ballon d'Or record, claiming his sixth individual honour at a glitzy awards ceremony in Paris, France in December.
Sarri vowed on Wednesday to help Ronaldo add to his Ballon d'Or collection and match the Argentina talisman.
The former Chelsea manager also said Paulo Dybala will be a contender in 2020 after a fine display against Udinese in the Copa Italia knockout match.
"I would like to help Cristiano win the sixth Ballon d'Or first," Sarri told reporters post-game in Turin.
"It's really annoying thinking that someone won more [Ballons d'Or] than him. I think about him and I think helping him it is my goal and the goal of the team. It is right for him.
"[Paulo] Dybala is going to be one of the contenders in the next years. I think so."
While Ronaldo sat out, Juve forward Paulo Dybala dazzled with a brace and an assist against Udinese.
"Dybala is a top player. As every top player when they are becoming confident and having the right age, they are playing like a top player,” said Sarri.
Juventus, missing Cristiano Ronaldo with sinusitis, went ahead with a delightful goal after 16 minutes that had all the hallmarks of their coach Maurizio Sarri.
A long passing move ended with Dybala and Higuain exchanging three successive one-twos to slice open the Udinese midfield before Higuain slotted the ball past goalkeeper Nicolas.
Dybala got on the scoresheet 10 minutes later, converting a penalty after Nicolas fouled Federico Bernardeschi and the Argentine curled in the third in the 58th minute.
A Douglas Costa penalty just after the hour completed the rout.
- Former FIFA boss charged in SwitzerlandFootball 1 day ago
- Federer has knee surgery, will miss French OpenTennis 1 day ago
- Arsenal boss Arteta hails Saka impact after win at OlympiakosFootball 20 hours ago
- Blow for Liverpool: Henderson ruled out for three weeks with injuryPremier League 10 hours ago
- How world football players’ union plan to support players who walk off over racismFootball 2 days ago
- Nakuru County games switched to next monthSports 2 days ago
- Group of Man United fans banned by Chelsea over homophobic chantsPremier League 2 days ago