Boxing: Boxers take their fight to Kisumu for final leg
It’s now race against time as national selectors pick a provisional squad for the African Olympic qualifiers.
With the final leg of the national boxing league set for Kisumu from Thursday to Saturday, they surely have their in-tray full.
At least 18 teams that compete in the league championships are out to fight for the 25 slots (for men and women) before the naming of the squad that will be whittled down in January ahead of residential training later that month.
The main battle will see league champions Kenya Police face their arch rivals Kenya Defence Forces. Also in the mix are Kibra ABC, who have not disappointed in the last three outings.
Other teams are former champions Kenya Prisons, who missed the Nanyuki championships, Kenyatta National Hospital, Dallas Muthurwa, Githurai 44, Thika and Nanyuki.
As was in the penultimate leg of the league championships in Nanyuki last month, counties will also parade their squads.
Boxing Federation of Kenya Technical Director Albert Matito released names of officials who will officiate in the three-day tournament.
They include Matito, John Waweru, Nelson Otieno, S. Otieno and D. Opiyo.
- Chelsea boss Lampard to move for Zaha in JanuaryGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Top swimmers in East Africa converge in Mombasa todaySwimming 2 days ago
- Paul Pogba ruled out of AZ Alkmaar clashFootball 2 days ago
- Why Simeone can't afford another slip at AtleticoFootball 2 days ago
- Russian champ blasts own sports authorities over banAthletics 2 days ago
- Benitez not keen on Arsenal and Everton jobsPremier League 2 days ago
- Benzema could face trial over tapePremier League 2 days ago