Man United worries fade after De Gea signs new contract
David De Gea has committed the peak years of his career to Manchester United after signing a new long-term deal worth £97.5million.
The United No.1 ended speculation over his future by putting pen to paper on a four-year deal - with the option of an extra year - worth £375,000-a-week.
As revealed by Mirror Sport back in July, De Gea and his representatives reached agreement with United over the contract extension during the club's summer tour of Australia and the Far East.
De Gea, 28, was out of contract at the end of this season, but boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer convinced him to extend his stay.
The Norwegian also challenged the Spain international to play a key role in his bid to take United back to the top
That challenge was accepted by De Gea, who said: “It's been a privilege to spend eight years at this great club and the opportunity to continue my career at Manchester United is a genuine honour.
“Since I arrived here, I could never have imagined I would play over 350 games for this club.
“Now my future is fixed, all I want is to help this team achieve what I believe we can and win trophies again together.
“As one of the senior players in the squad, I want to support and lead in any way that I can to assist the younger players, so they know what it means to play here.
“I still feel that I have so much more to achieve at the club and I truly believe that Manchester United can build on the club’s tradition of success and reward our fans for their support.
“I'm committed to continue repaying the fans for all of the care that they’ve shown me during the good times and the bad.”
Solskjaer said: “I'm delighted David has committed his long-term future to the club.
“Over recent years, David has proved himself to be the best in the world and a vital part of our plans as we look to take Manchester United back to where it belongs.
- Lionel Messi’s Barcelona release clause has now expiredFootball 1 day ago
- Covid-19 deals a heavy blow to juggler MurimiSports -1 years ago
- Kahata explains the difficulties he faced while trying to return to Tanzania for the league resumptionFootball 2 days ago
- Man City's Foden breaks distancing rules to play at beachFootball 1 day ago
- Real Madrid 'eye Jadon Sancho transfer in 2021' Gossip & Rumours 11 hours ago
- David Luiz eyes Arsenal stay with 'very high chance' of contract extensionFootball 2 days ago
- Tottenham star Son opens up on military training experienceFootball 8 hours ago