Malkia Strikers make false start in Japan
Kenya made a false start with two successive defeats at the FIVB World Cup Women Volleyball in Hamamatsu and Yokohama in Japan.
The Kenyan team popularly referred to as Malkia Strikers lost to Netherlands yesterday in straight sets of 25-12, 25-19 and 25-17.
The loss came on the back of another defeat at the hands of the US. Malkia Strikers composed of experienced setter Janet Wanja, Sharon Chepchumba, Mercy Moim, Noel Murambi, Triza Atuka and Edith Wisa could not match the US as they in straight sets of 14-25, 20-25 and 14-25.
Kenya and Cameroon are the two African representatives.
Yesterday, Cameroon also had a bad start in their opening match when they fell by straight sets to the Chinese.
China won in straight sets of 25-18, 25-14 and 25-19.
In other matches, the Netherlands walloped Argentina by straight sets of 25-16, 25-17 and 25-18.
Meanwhile, National Volleyball League champions General Service Unit defeated Kenya Ports Authority 3-1 (25-13, 24-26, 25-20 and 25-21) to romp into the finals of the Laikipia County Volleyball Championships at Nanyuki Stadium yesterday.
The paramilitary men were set to face Kenya Prisons in the finals last evening.
The warders had earlier dismissed Equity Bank 3-2(25-23, 15-25, 25-17, 17-25 and 15-11) in the second semi-final match before setting a date with the paramilitary men.
- Solskjaer aims dig at Liverpool ahead of Man Utd showdownFootball 2 days ago
- Shooters mark Mashujaa Day contest in style Sports 2 days ago
- View the official Man Utd vs Liverpool lineup (Kick-off 6:30pm Kenyan Time)Football 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge feted with the highest civilian state commendation Athletics 2 days ago
- Kenya Morans hunt down Safari Sevens titleRugby 2 days ago
- Man United end Liverpool's winning run in 1-1 drawFootball 2 days ago
- Rugby: Safari Sevens exposes RFUEA ground’s deplorable stateRugby 2 days ago