Indiza loses bid to win sixth title at Uganda Open battle
Kenya’s Dismas Indiza set a course record of nine under par 63 gross on Friday but lost the title at the Uganda Open Golf Championships that ended at the par 72 Lake Victoria Serena last evening.
The Mumias-based professional and the event defending champion produced a round of 285 gross (73-76-73-71) to finish fourth in the championships.
Indiza was targeting a sixth title having won in 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2018 editions. He found the going tough in the final rounds playing five birdies, nine level pars against four bogeys.
“The tourney was tough. I did my best but had a poor finish in some holes,” said Indiza, who set a course record after firing nine over par 63 gross on Friday in the third round.
Zambia’s Madalisto Muthiya from Lusaka Golf course won on a round of 279 gross after firing 72-66-69-72 in the four rounds.
Zimbabwe’s Tongoona Charamba and Stephen Ferreira returned second on 283 gross and third on 284 gross respectively.
The four-day 72 hole strokes play championships attracted 106 professional golfers before 32 players made the cut to the final rounds.
Kenya fielded the largest entry of 39 golfers and 13 sailed into the final rounds. They included Riz Charania, Mohit Mediratta, Simon Ngige and Edwin Mudanyi.
Others are Eric Ooko, Justus Madoya, Kopan Timbe, Greg Snow, Dismas Indiza, Njuguna Ngugi, Sujan Shah, C J Wangai and Nyali’s Mathew Wahome.
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, Nigeria, Malawi, Cote D’Ivoire, Cameroun, France, Ghana, Rwanda, Namibia, Senegal, Seychelles, Botswana and India are among nations that participated.
The championship was organized by Uganda Golf Union (UGU) and sponsored by Uganda Nile Breweries and Uganda Tourism Board.
Other sponsors are Britam, Isuzu Uganda, Pepsi Uganda, Absa, Minet Limited, Uganda time cop, and Liquid Telecom.
The professionals battled for a share of Sh5.1 million (US 50,000) prize money. The championship is the second leg of 12 series of East African Safari Tour organized by Kenya Golf Open Limited (KGOL), where golfers consolidate points towards next year’s Magical Kenya Open set for Karen Golf Club on March 12th to 15th.
This year’s Uganda Open Championships started on August 26th and featured juniors, ladies, amateurs and the professionals.
- #OleOut fails to trend after Man United pierce through Spurs’ perfect startFootball 14 hours ago
- Debutants face veterans in school team of the year awardSports 18 hours ago
- Copa Coca Cola: Kenya face Tanzania in semisFootball 1 day ago
- Revealed: Rooney wrote transfer request in Everton canteen to force Man United moveGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Shujaa seek to charge past South Africa in Dubai Sevens Rugby 19 hours ago
- Ljungberg explains Pepe plan as he bids to solve key Arsenal issuePremier League 8 hours ago
- Solskjaer 'plotting drastic tactical switch' for Tottenham clashFootball 1 day ago