Simiyu, Njeri win inaugural Ushirika Charity Road Race
Iten-based Daniel Simiyu and Lydia Njeri are the winner s of inaugural Ushirika Charity road race held yesterday in Nairobi.
Simiyu, winner of Sotokoto road race two weeks ago, took control of the race with 4km to go to win the 9km race in 25:10.9 and pocket Sh100,000. Another Iten-based Edwin Kipkemboi (25: 34.1) finished second while Emmanuel Kipchirchir (25:36.1)settled for third place.
“The weather was good and favourable. The lineup had good runners, fortunately, I knew most of them and their capabilities, so I took advantage of knowing them to beat them. Two weeks ago I won Sotokoto 10km. To follow that victory with another win makes me feel great. I hope with these victories I will able to secure a manager, who will help me get good races abroad soon,” said Simiyu.
Njeri, a pacemaker at the 2019 London Marathon comfortability won the 9km women race in 28:55.7. Njeri was followed from a distance by Judith Cherono (29:13.5). Judith Cherono timed 29:13.5 to finish third.
“Coming here I knew I was in good shape and I was sure of getting onto the podium. I was also using the event as part of preparation for upcoming road races,” said Njeri, younger sister to former road race specialist Martin Mathathi
The race organized by Cooperative Alliance of Kenya (CAK), will be an annual event whose aim is to help enhance and promote basic education in the country by paying schools for needy students.
- Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayedFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Man United First training: New boy Daniel James in action [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 month ago