Squash: Kenya to host World Squash Federation
Kenya is set to welcome the World Squash Federation (WSF) Ambassador programme next week when three of the world's leading squash players visit Nairobi for the WSF promotion initiative hosted by the Kenya Squash community on Thursday.
Former world number one Nicol David who is also the sport's ultimate ambassador and eight time champion from Malaysia will be joined by former players Camille Serme who is the world number 3 of Franca and Borja Golan from Spain at Parklands Sports Club and Nairobi Club for the eighth edition of the annual WSF initiative.
Launched in 2011, the initiative is aimed at promoting squash as a sport in younger nations by bringing together leading squash players, international coaches and referees through clinics, exhibition matches, refereeing and coach seminars alongside media presentation.
In a statement released by the organisation, WSF CEO Andrew Shelley praised Kenya for showing ambition and interest in the sport.
"Their is great enthusiasm and potential for squash in Kenya. The players, coaches and referees have shown positive momentum and that is why by bringing this initiative to Kenya and our community to enthuse the squash community of the country," he said.
Belgian national coach Ronny Vlassaks and international referee Marko Podgorsek from Slovenia will join Ambassador David and his team when the 2019 campaign gets underway on June 27.
David burst into the international squash stage in 1999 after winning the World junior under 19 title at only 15 years of stage. She retired last month at the British Open having played her 700th professional match spanning over 20 years of which she won 80 titles.
Kenya will become the third country to host the campaign in Africa after past visits by WSF to Malawi and Namibia.
- Harambee Stars: Ready for mother of all battlesFootball 2 weeks ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 2 weeks ago
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 2 weeks ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 week ago
- Mbappe sent off as PSG lose in French Cup finalFootball 2 months ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 week ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 1 month ago