Petr Cech returns to Chelsea
Chelsea are set to confirm Petr Cech as their new Sporting Director on Friday.
The former Arsenal goalkeeper, who turned 37 last month, retired from playing after the Gunners’ Europa League final in Azerbaijan.
His return to Stamford Bridge has increased expectations that Frank Lampard will succeed Maurizio Sarri who was unveiled as the new Juventus coach on Thursday morning.
Chelsea have been without a technical director since Michael Emenalo stepped down in November 2017.
Cech was pictured on Thursday at Stamford Bridge with Blues director and chief negotiator Marina Granovskaia who has taken on the majority of Emenalo’s old duties since he quit.
It is believed Cech will share some of the burden in terms of recruitment and bridging the gap between the board and the manager.
Chelsea have made no secret of their desire to bring back their so-called 'golden generation' which included the likes of Claude Makelele, Didier Drogba, Lampard and Cech.
Mirror Football recently reported how Lampard will conduct an overhaul of his backroom staff as he prepares to usher in a new era at Chelsea.
Lampard's current No.2 at Derby, Jody Morris, is expected to follow him back to the Bridge, where he has served as a player and coach previously, while the Rams fitness coach Chris Jones and head of analysis Steve Randa could also join them.
The appointment of Lampard is seen to be an astute one by Chelsea, as they look to overcome an imposed transfer ban and utilise some of the talent emerging from the Blues youth ranks.
Lampard is considering promoting under-23 coach Joe Edwards to the first-team set-up as part of the restructure, after he received glowing reports from Morris - who worked with Edwards during his time coaching at the club.
Edwards and Morris are familiar with the club's youth academy prospects, while the likes of Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount will also be given a chance to impress after returning from their loan spells.
- Eliud Kipchoge on whether he can run normal marathon in under two hoursAthletics 2 days ago
- Jackpot winner now works as a coal delivery manGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Rugby: Kabras Sugar maintain winning sweetness in Kenya CupRugby 2 days ago
- Storms blunt Strathmore’s Swords to reach semi-finalsBasketball 2 days ago
- Stars jet back and set sights on Hawks tieFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Chebet and Kiplimo rule in Baringo 10km race Athletics 2 days ago
- Hockey: Scorpions sting at City Park too painful for SlidersHockey 2 days ago