Philippe Coutinho puts club future in doubt with Barcelona transfer admission
Philippe Coutinho was unable to shed any light on his club future after playing for Brazil in Tuesday night's Copa America clash with Venezuela, simply saying that he doesn't know if he'll be staying with Barcelona.
The former Liverpool midfielder was part of the Brazil side that were held to a frustrating goalless draw in Salvador, where the hosts saw three goals disallowed by VAR and were booed off the pitch by some home fans.
Coutinho, Roberto Firmino and Gabriel Jesus were all denied strikes as the hosts dropped two points in their second group stage game, although they remain top of Group A on goal difference from Peru.
The tournament is no doubt providing a welcome distraction for Coutinho, who is facing huge transfer scrutiny over his position at Barca, where he has struggled to adapt ever since his £142million move from Liverpool 18 months ago.
Barca are seeking to raise money for another big transfer this summer, with either one of Antoine Griezmann or Neymar - who is missing the Copa America through injury - tipped to move to the Nou Camp, and Coutinho widely expected to be ushered towards the exit door.
Catalan publication Sport noted that Coutinho was asked about his club future at full-time in Salvador, when he said: "I do not know, the future nobody knows, I am focused to play with the national team now."
Coutinho has played well in both of Brazil's Copa America fixtures, scoring twice against Bolivia but Sport make a point of noting his poor La Liga season for Barca.
He scored just five goals and two assists in 34 league appearances, figures which Barca would expect a huge upgrade on for the money lavished on him.
- Everton 2 – 0 West Ham: Resurgent Everton outclass West Ham to end losing runFootball 2 days ago
- Man United job isn't too big for me, says SolskjaerFootball 2 days ago
- David Luiz reveals the club that can challenge Liverpool to win EPL title this seasonFootball 2 days ago
- Alonso silences Newcastle taunts as Chelsea climb to thirdFootball 1 day ago
- Spurs stumble again as Leicester winFootball 1 day ago
- Seven-try All Blacks outclass Ireland to reach World Cup semisRugby 2 days ago
- Cricket: Scotland beat Kenya in T20Cricket 1 day ago