Transfer Latest: Atletico Madrid set to shock the world by signing expensive teenager
Atletico Madrid are set to sign teenage sensation Joao Felix from Benfica for 120 million euros ($134m), according to reports in Portugal on Tuesday.
The fee would make Felix the fifth most expensive signing of all time after Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele.
Three Portuguese sports newspapers - A Bola, Record and O Jogo - claim the 19-year-old has accepted an offer of a five-year contract from Atletico, with a net annual salary worth six million euros.
Felix has been linked with a number of Europe's leading clubs including Manchester City, Manchester United and Juventus.
Winning the race for his signature would come as a significant boost to Atletico, who are expecting to lose Antoine Griezmann this summer after the Frenchman said he is seeking a new challenge.
Griezmann's release clause will decrease to 120 million euros on July 1, with his projected sale likely funding Atletico's sizeable bid for Felix. Griezmann is expected to join Barcelona.
Felix, a forward who can play on either flank or centrally, has just enjoyed a breakthrough season at Benfica, scoring 20 goals in 43 competitive games and helping the club win the Portugese league title.
He also made his debut for Portugal earlier this month, starting alongside Cristiano Ronaldo in their Nations League semi-final win over Switzerland.
- Harambee Stars: Ready for mother of all battlesFootball 2 weeks ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 2 weeks ago
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 2 weeks ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 week ago
- Mbappe sent off as PSG lose in French Cup finalFootball 2 months ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 week ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 1 month ago