Hockey: Lakers upbeat ahead of USIU and Telkom test
Lakers Hockey Club head coach Brian Aduda is confident his side can overhaul defending champions Telkom and win the coveted 2019 Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) Women Premier League trophy.
The Kisumu based team will host United States International University (USIU-A) Women tomorrow (Saturday) at Sikh Union before playing league leaders Telkom on Sunday at 10 am.
Speaking to the Standard Sports yesterday, Aduda said they have home advantage and f they win the two matches then they will be at a better position of finishing top.
“The self-drive and hunger is evident among the girls in training and this award gives them extra motivation as a team and on an individual basis. We just have to win the two matches and then wait and see,” said Aduda.
He added, “Every team wants to collect maximum points but we are out to reap maximum points in our weekend fixtures.”
However, team assistant captain Ashley Akinyi warned her teammates to be critical and tactical as they will be facing the first two strongest opponents in the league.
“We are going to play against Kenya’s greatest hockey team in recent years and therefore we have to fight every minute and make use of any chance we get,” she said.
The newbies who were promoted after finishing second in the super league last year had a month to prepare and the captain believes they have what it takes to stop Telkom.
“Our target and objectives are driven by our motto we believe in, if you can’t win don’t lose. Being underdogs we are determined to pursue and fulfil this drive,” Akinyi added.
Lakers are currently unbeaten and third in the log with five points from three matches, drawing two and winning one against Sliders, Strathmore University and Kenyatta University respectively.
Telkom lead the table with seven points as USIU are second with six points but with a match to play.
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 week ago
- What went wrong with Harambee Stars in Egypt?Football 1 week ago
- ‘Being rejected by foster family as a teenager fuelled my success’ – De BruyneFootball 3 months ago
- Photos: United flop Paul Pogba’s amazing car collection is worth £1.6mFootball 1 month ago
- Tennis star fined Sh5.7million for playing below standards at WimbledonTennis 1 week ago
- Gor Mahia complete signing of Rwandese goal machineFootball 2 weeks ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 week ago